Yoga Blog 1

         My first yoga experience this semester was with Yoga Body 360 located in Manahawkin, New Jersey.  A close friend of mine is an instructor there and is certified in a variety of different kinds of yoga such as trapeze yoga, gravity yoga, and yoga wheel.  They offer some classes in person, but I chose to take a class online so I didn't have to practice with the mask on.  I have taken a gravity yoga class with her before the pandemic in person, which I really enjoyed.  I decided to try gravity yoga for the first time. 

        Unfortunately, since it was on zoom I wasn't in the yoga studio environment, but I did the class on my apartment's balcony because it was really nice outside.  It was a little windy, but it kept me cool and comfortable during the class.  I never actually knew how gravity yoga was different from regular prior to signing up for the class.  Gravity yoga consists of holding positions for long periods of time to release a stretch reflex.  We held each position for three minutes at a time and used different breathing patterns to deepen our stretches and calm our bodies.  During the stretches I was able to deepen my stretches a lot further than I have in the past.

        This class was considered a beginners class and consisted of people from a variety of ages.  The class focused mostly on hip stretches.  I really enjoyed this class and would like to take another gravity yoga class in the future.  Next time I would like to take it in person to get more of the yoga experience and take a slightly more advanced class.  

Comments

  1. sounds like a version of a yin yoga style class, interesting that they call it "gravity" since it is meant to be passive (no effort and let gravity stretch you). Also interesting that yoga is so focused on stretching...why? Flexibility = enlightenment? :) good entry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga Session 2

Yoga Blog 3